Monday, August 14, 2006

The Witness - S L Bhyrappa

The drawback of not being able to read or write in my mother tongue has resulted in losing out on the some of the best, Sahitya Academy winning works of our authors. I have always wanted to read Bhyrappa's books, specially after it being highly recommended by both my granny and U. So as soon as I spotted the translated version of Saakshi on the Crossword bookshelf, I picked it up immediately. (This reminds me that i need to pick translated version of Kuvempu's Kanooru Heggaditi).
Although translated works rarely do justice to the original, this one isn't that bad either. Eventhough the flavour of Kannada is missing, because of the fact that I was able to relate to the whole set up I was able to still enjoy the book.
It traces the story of person who has never lied in his entire life and the one time he does he is so ashamed and guilty that he commits suicide. But Yama-the god of death wants him to go back and witness the consequences of his suicide and the result of his lie. The book questions the philosphy of truth and how it interpreted by each individual.
The entire story moves in one smooth flow and makes a wonderful leisure read.

6 comments:

Rk said...

Wonderful leisure read ??
Was disappointed at this one.

Unknown said...

Ha?? Disappointed with my language or the book??

Piyush said...

Hi.. I'm a silent follower of this blog.. I have gone through to almost every book which u have mentioned.. Sometime I felt completely disagreed with ur review like mediocre but arrogant or the witness.. but overall u gave good review.. but only thing I always think, y do u read only Indian author’s book.. there are lots of foreign author’s book on which gave ur review… Can u able to review some Ruskin Bond ‘s novella

Unknown said...

Hey Piyush...
Thanks for being a regular reader of the blog... :)
And as far as agreeing with the review goes... that was never the intention... you could always leave your views/reviews in the comment section (which would actually make the comment section worthwhile :) )and we would gladly discuss it...
And why Indian authors...
Well... its just lately that we have picked up Indian authors.. so it would take a bit more time to move over to foreign ones and by the way Ruskin Bond is almost Indian too :)

Piyush said...

Hi Chaitra,
Waiting for another review.. :)
Meanwhile I have added some new entries into my blog.. wish to share with you..
www.piyuk.blogspot.com

Cheers,
Piyush!!

S said...

Leisure read? :O