Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Kalki Selected Stories


In the past couple of months I have read some of the best short stories written by our authors and suprisingly (or maybe not) some of the best ones have been written during the freedom struggle, specially the early 1900s. I picked up Kalki's selected stories on an impulse and it was a revelation, specially the first story. Its the story of ladies school principal who would have lost the love of her life to illiteracy. The irony is the tail is simply marvelous.
Most of the stories have been picked from the immensely popular magazine started by Kalki and have been translated from Tamil by his grand-daughter. Simple language, very basic background but each with a charm of its own. Most of the plots in the later half of the book, you will realise have already been used in a lot of south indian movies and talk a lot of the authors inclination to the freedom struggle, more so of the non-violent types..
Although some parts of it might be little difficult to comprehend for non-tams like me, its still recommended....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I have never heard about this book at all.

Let me look for it.

My Blog